27 March 2009

Midnight in Siberia:Chapter 1

Chapter 1

So, this is how it’s going to end. I’ve seen this situation before, in the movies. I never thought I would be in it. Just three months ago, I was the mayor of Brockton, Massachusetts, my hometown, a small city south of Boston and now I’m here, handcuffed to a chair in a dimly lit room while a crazed oil billionaire paces in front of me, holding a .357 Mangum handgun.
“Mr. Crater, I know it may be hard to believe, but this is hurting me, it really is. I remember not long ago, I was doing the same to your father. He came onboard to the rig as an investor from London looking to buy up some oil stock. Well, I guess the International Security Agency didn’t cover up all their tracks. Oh well. In two hours, our beloved Moon will make a turn for the worst and crash into the Yucatan Peninsula and I’ll be on a one way trip to Sputnik II, my self-supportive space station orbiting Mars. I do think it’ll take approximately 9.75 million years for the Earth to recreate its atmosphere and another 1.3 billion years until it can actually support life, according to my calculations. Humans will regret the day they pushed Mother Nature over the edge. They put all the blame on me just because I run an oil company but I’m just one person. I had to rise to this dirty position so I could promote my message of saving the environment. Now they will know why I did it. I’m sorry it had to end like this Anthony. I’ve had a blast.”
The billionaire handed the handgun to one of his bodyguards in the room and whispered, “Finish him.” The bodyguard chuckled and walked over to where I was tied up. The Magnum was held to the left side of my head. I could feel that cold, steel barrel against my temple. I could hear the safety clicking off. How did I get into this situation?
Well, since you’re this far into the book, there’s no point in stopping. My name is Anthony Crater, and this is my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment